Fine lines and wrinkles on the face commonly occur as people age or are exposed to the sun. These cosmetic imperfections often cause individuals to look older and can greatly diminish skin quality. Fortunately, there are simple skin treatment options and surgical procedures that can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Where Fine Lines and Wrinkles Occur
The skin around the eyes, mouth and neck is where fine lines and wrinkles often form. They can also sometimes form on the forehead and in front of the ears.
What Causes Lines and Wrinkles to Form?
Genetics, environmental factors and certain behaviors can contribute to the development of this skin problem. Some of the most common causes include:
- Getting Older – People tend to lose elasticity in their skin as they grow older, which can make it more susceptible to wrinkles and fine lines. The fat that is found in the skin’s deeper layers also diminishes, which can result in loose and sagging skin that has more noticeable lines.
- Sun Exposure – The ultraviolet light that comes from the sun can quickly age skin and cause it to form wrinkles and fine lines. This happens because the elastin fibers and collagen in the skin start to break down from sun exposure and cause the skin to lose its buoyancy.
- Excessive Frowning or Smiling – Frown lines and laugh lines can form around the eyes and mouth if a person is known to scowl or smile a lot.
- Smoking – Using tobacco products can cause fine lines and wrinkles by affecting blood flow to facial skin and releasing free radicals that interfere with collagen production.
What Non-Surgical and Non-Invasive Treatments Can Eliminate Stubborn Lines & Wrinkles?
Treatment will depend on the severity of the skin condition. Methods that often work include:
- Injectable Facial Fillers like Restylane, Radiesse, Perlane, Juvederm. Sculptra, Restylane Silk
- Chemical peels
- BOTOX injections
- ClearLift nonablative fractional laser resurfacing
If cosmetic surgery is a more desirable option, you can choose to undergo a cosmetic procedure with board-certified cosmetic plastic surgeon Dr. Robert Schwarcz in his Scarsdale or NYC practices. Facelift surgery is one of the most common procedures and involves removing extra skin and fat from the neck and lower face; making the underlying muscle and connective tissue more secure. It is important to note that results from surgery can vary, and most cosmetic procedures are not covered by medical insurance.